Sunday, November 20, 2005

musings while driving today


wiretap
Originally uploaded by himbly.
I got into the car and turned on the radio just in time to hear The Vinyl Cafe, and I smilled and thought, 'alllll right!' when I heard Stuart McLean's voice.

I love getting into the car when my fave radio shows are on.

However, Stuart McLean's voice was saying goodbye until next week. So I was all, 'bummer'.

And then, after the news, they introduced Wiretap. That is totally even better than the Vinyl Cafe, so I ended up driving past Safeway and into some residential area just so I could listen to it.

I laughed myself stupid. I recommend it (the show...and laughing yourself stupid).

...

When I don't feel like listening to what's on CBC at that moment, i surf other radio stations. WTF? Why does almost every other radio station in Calgary suck? There is NOTHING good to listen to...'cept CJSW and sometimes they're stinky, too.

...

Was thinking about my typology class and how I found a language atlas at a bookstore yesterday. Typology is a type of linguistics where you look at features in a language and compare them with the other languages in the world. You find that of all the possibilities, really most languages fall within only a few of them.

Anyway...I won't get into it.

The guy who started it was named Greenberg who wrote this paper in 1966 that turned the linguistic world on its ear! *echo*

In it he wrote 45 'universals', which is to say he studied a bunch of languages, compared them and found out 45 things that always or usually happen. And they're written like this:

Universal #5: If a language has dominant SOV word order and the genitive follows the governing noun, then the adjective likewise follows the noun.

(Which just means that if the word order of a language (like Japanese) is subject, object, verb and if you use a possessive phrase (John's car) the possessing thing (John) is after the noun in possesses (car John's) then an adjective (black car) will also follow the noun it's modifying (car black). If you care.)

This is an awful long setup for a stupid joke that made me laugh in the car...but Rush was on one of the stations.

Himbly's universal #1: If a person's genetic code (for gender) is XX and if their country of origin is Canada then, with greater than chance frequency, that person will dislike Rush.

...

Good lord. I got nothing these days.

No comments:

Find me on MySpace and be my friend! D-List Blogger