Sunday, November 21, 2004

the only fear is fear itself


work
Originally uploaded by himbly.
Well...now I've gone and done it. I done told a work colleague my blog addy.

Hi Bumf.

No big deal, really, I'm just a/ shy about my blog, but whatever, that's my problem and b/ I was worried that I would eventually bitch about work and he'd be there to read it.

So...there's nothing to do but confront fear head on:

G-damn I hate my effing job.

(Bumf...you are sworn to secrecy...what is read on the web, stays on the web. Fair?)

Now...allow me to make a few disclaimers. The ~people~ I work with are great...not just saying that because Bumf is here. I'm generally left alone. There's just enough insane women to keep me amused. Bumf and a couple of others come around for a pretty good chat every so often. My boss is pretty fair and loves hearing my D&D stories. I even get paid decently - for what I do. The owner of the company is pretty cool...like, in an actual 'hip' way...not like a JC Anderson cool in a 'my god, he's just like the cartoon' way.

BUT...

but...

oh my god, but...

what have I done? My job is so useless. My talents (whatever they are) go untouched. I'm so much smarter than my job requires me to be. And as every day goes by, I've spent another 8 hours helping rich men get petroleum out of the ground as fast as those little pumpjacks can suck so that everyone can drive their monster SUVs to the corner store and keep it running while they rent Titanic. Again.

Arrgghhh.

And all because I ~really dig~ linguistics. And I was too lazy/intimidated/whatever to resist the call of oil and gas when I was a freshly graduated, newly unemployed lass.

That was 7 years ago...and for those 7 years, I've been floating at these pink collar jobs. 7 years in a pool of 'support women of the office' which often is the cattiest little group of cliches I've ever seen.

But that's another rant for another day.

So...I've made mistakes. Many.

But that's another rant for another day.

What I've got will do for now. I've luckily got my projection gig, my tutoring gig, my hobbies so that I can feel productive and interested. Eventually, the grad school in my future will be in my present...

but that's another rant for another day.

1 comment:

Rob Huck said...

Well, helloooo there.

Find me on MySpace and be my friend! D-List Blogger