Monday, October 02, 2006

Holy crap!

This topic is so insane that I'm surprised that I've engaged myself in it. Now, seeing that it makes me sick to my stomach to think of this as a reality (as it has been in the past), I am not certain that this isn't just a weird joke or a simple 'musing' of sorts.

I think, though, if it's just a "musing of sorts", then you should probably make that clear before you type it out and you seem like a class one a-hole with next to no ability to see where bad decisions might lead.

RightGirl wants us to consider the systematic sterilization of those people she doesn't like. It starts with "mothers who do not take care of their children" but god knows where it ends.

Do I think that some people shouldn't have children? Of course I do! Do I wish that some people could be sterilized? Yup. I do. I read this blog [linked once I can access it again] recently and some of the parents of the children he discusses...well, I wish I could have sterilized them myself. The important question is, however, do I trust anyone -individual or agency- to make this decision correctly? No. Absolutely not. There is no omlette delicious enough to account for the degree of egg breaking that would entail. There is no quick fix here. There is no easy answer. We cannot have a government that allows forced sterilization because, as another commenter put it, it is a slippery slope.

I am so anti this idea that I am surprised that anyone even comes close to considering it.

I don't know what to say. This is why I frequent these sorts of blogs. It makes me realize that issues I thought were dead and buried are actually alive and well.

No comments:

Find me on MySpace and be my friend! D-List Blogger