Sunday, September 18, 2005

Invisible Children

Please check this site.

I worked at the theatre last night, for the first time in months.

I got to work just about halfway through a documentary called Invisible Children. Dropping my bags off in the booth, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen and stood there transfixed - except for the times what I saw was so heartwrenching that I had to look away.

The 'invisible children' they were talking about were, seriously, thousands of children abducted by rebels in Uganda to become part of their army. They are:

a/ afraid to death of being kidnapped, so they run to the city hospital at night for protection causing severe overcrowding

b/ kidnapped anyway

c/ taken to the bush, given a gun and forced to watch other children brutally murdered in front of them for discipline and desensitization

d/ between the ages of five and twelve

if they do escape, they are either kidnapped again, killed, or -if they're lucky- they live the rest of their lives with ~this~ behind them

if they don't, they are forced to kill hundreds of people, nearly starved, abused sexually and otherwise, and very possibly eventually killed.









I don't know how to end this post.

No comments:

Find me on MySpace and be my friend! D-List Blogger