Tuesday, September 27, 2005

no business like show business


ppo-movieboys
Originally uploaded by himbly.
While reading through blogs today, this one reminded me about the film fest going on right now. I really ought to talk about it since I have a very small role to play.

This year, I'm too busy to do much but work a few shifts. Usually I am super excited to be part of it, but this year too much going on.

Be that as it may, I worked on Sunday evening.

I can't quite explain to you the shit show that is my booth during film fest. We get all sorts of film and new equipment in to pull this off. People are coming and going delivering or taking away stuff, there's stacks of reels that need splicing or broken down to ship away, there's schedules, revised schedules and revised revised schedules...

...and there's a big bottle of rum that has the label "projectionist lubricant".

This year I rushed in and asked my boss what there was to splice, break down, cry over, etc....

'nothing', he replied.

'nothing?', I asked.

You see, good reader(s), about half the films this year are on DVD. And although that made me breathe a sigh of relief because I had homework to do, it made me a little sad at the demise of an old craft.

Truth is...from what I've seen so far..you can't make DVD look better than 35mm. Not yet.

So there.

Not that anyone cares...quality is becoming a concern of the past.

But, that's another rant for another day.

(Luckily, the films I ran were on 35 mm so I got to strut my stuff anyway.)

No comments:

Find me on MySpace and be my friend! D-List Blogger